Call for Abstracts
International Conference on
CHALLENGES IN MANAGING SMART PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
(August 26 & 27, either on-site or virtually)
Smart products and services are about to transform both markets and companies. In 2019, researchers discussed corresponding managerial issues during the first Conference on Challenges in Managing Smart Products and Services.Motivated by the fruitful first conference, we invite colleagues from diverse management fields to join us for a follow-up conference in 2021.
We plan the conference to be hold as an in-person event in Bielefeld, Germany, a lovely town in the center of East Westphalia, which is the home of numerous highly successful small and medium-sized enterprises with several of them being ‘hidden champions’ in their industries. Bielefeld University in particular hosts the Center for Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC) as well as the Institute of Technological Innovation, Market Development and Entrepreneurship (iTIME), which are concerned with engineering and economic issues of smart products and services. If the COVID-19 pandemic does not allow for an in-person conference, the CHIMSPAS 2021 will take place virtually or as a hybrid event.
We welcome conceptual, empirical, and analytical works to be presented at the CHIMSPAS conference. Possible contributions should be submitted as extended abstracts. Both completed research and work in progress are eligible.
Topics of Interest
Conference contributions need to be related to challenges in managing smart products and services, which might arise in diverse fields such as those listed in the following:
- Business Information Systems Engineering (e.g., establishing smart service platforms)
- Entrepreneurship (e.g., collaboration with startups in developing smart products)
- Human Resource Management (e.g., new skills required, new working styles or cultural norms)
- Innovation and Technology Management (e.g., barriers to smart product adoption and diffusion, acquisition of required technologies)
- Logistics (e.g., continuous tracking of products w.r.t. location, current condition, environment)
- Marketing (e.g., finer customer segmentation, novel pricing strategies)
- Organization (e.g., new organizational structures to coordinate units more closely)
- Production (e.g., predictive analytics enabling service innovation in manufacturing, industry 4.0)
- Service Management (e.g., smart service systems, smart transformative services)
- Strategic Management (e.g., new business model, importance of data, open or closed system)
Authors should submit their abstracts (maximum of 500 words) by April 1, 2021. Information on the submission procedure can be obtained via the conference website soon. There will be no publicly available conference proceedings and, thus, abstract submissions to the conference do not impede submission of the full paper to a journal afterwards.
Submission deadline: April 1, 2021
Authors notification: April 30, 2021
Early bird register closing date: May 31, 2021
Final registration date for all presenting authors: June 15, 2021
Conference: August 26–27, 2021