The workshop will take place from 9:00 a.m. till 1 p.m., on Wednesday, 19th of March 2014 in Aula at Helmut-Schmidt-University / University of the Federal Armed Forces of Germany (Hamburg)
The primary purpose of this workshop is to introduce workshop attendees to mixed methods research (MMR). An emphasis will be placed on high quality design and validity issues in mixed methods research. A secondary purpose is to discuss with workshop attendees how mixed methods research can be used to address their research interests and research questions.
Dr. Burke Johnson will briefly cover the following topics, but he will emphasize research design and validity issues:
- Introduction and definitions of MMR
- Intellectual history of MMR
- Philosophies and paradigms in MMR
- Three major types of MMR: Quantitatively driven, qualitatively driven, and interactive MMR
- Research questions
- Major methods of data collection in empirical research
- Major research methods in quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods research
- Sampling methods in MMR
- Validity or legitimation design in MMR
- How to determine the dimensions for designing an MMR research study
- Data analysis in MMR
- Report writing and publishing in MMR.