9th International Research Workshop
Methods for PhD
27.9.-2.10.2015, near Flensburg
Organising team: Wenzel Matiaske, Simon Fietze, Heiko Stüber
Empirical research is seeking through methodological processes to discover, hopefully, nontrivial facts and insights. Beside choosing a topic and grounding an idea in theory, empirical research consists of gathering and analysing data as well as presenting results in scientific contexts.
The workshop tackles these steps of a research project:
- Gathering data via (un)structured interviews or surveys and
- using the computer for qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
The regular workshop fee is 439 Euro. It covers the participation in three courses, meals and accommodation. The workshop fee is 279 Euro without accommodation (only meals are included).
It is possible to get a certificate on 5 credit points (according to the European Credit Transfer System).
The following courses will be offered:
Parallel courses offered Monday and Tuesday morning (September 28/29):
- Data Analysis with R
- Data Analysis with Stata
- Grounded Theory
- Qualitative Interviews
- Introduction to the SOEP and Applied Survival Analysis
Parallel courses offered Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday (September 29/30):
- Analysing Panel and Spatial Data
- Analysis of Qualitative Data and Exploratory Statistics
- Questionnaire Design
- Case Study Research
- Structural Equation Modelling (SEM) with R
Parallel courses at the SDU (October 1):
- Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA)
- Academic Writing
- Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) Modelling and Its Applications to Policy Impact Analysis
- Measuring Preferences using Conjoint Analytic Methods
- Introduction to Network Analysis
For further information, especially lecturers, program, organizers and registration visit our website.
For any questions don’t hesitate to contact the workshop committee.
The workshop is supported by
- Europa-Universität Flensburg
- University of Hamburg, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences
- University of Hamburg, School of Business
- Leuphana University Lüneburg, Faculty of Economics
- Werkstatt für Personal- und Organisationsforschung e.V.
- German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP) at the DIW Berlin