Established in 1985, Sun Yat-Sen Business School (SYSBS) was the first business school in mainland China instituted by an overseas foundation. As one of the oldest and leading business schools in mainland China, SYSBS has been accredited by AMBA in 2010, EQUIS by EFMD in 2011 (it has also passed AACSB on-site peer review in June 2013). In 2012, its EMBA was ranked #11 and Master’s in Management #58 worldwide by FT. In 2013, its business administration programs at undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels was tied with Tsinghua U. for the second best nationwide awarded by the central government.
SYSBS is located in Guangzhou, the capital city of Guangdong Province, China, also adjacent to Hong Kong and Macau. Guangzhou is the third largest city in China. Visitors have been drawn to the metropolitan glamour and excitement of Guangzhou for the diversity and richness of economic, cultural and social life found here.
The International PhD (IPHD) Program at SYSBS is a small yet much focused top Ph.D program designed to foster doctoral students to become top-notch scholars in both China and the world. At present, the program concentrates on one major – international management (IM) – coached by a team of domestically and internationally renowned faculty in the field. It is a full-time, up to five-year, fully funded program offering the students tuition waiver and stipend. The program also institutionally arranges and financially supports each student one-year overseas training and research mentored by internationally reputed scholars. The program aims to place its doctoral students, after completing the program, in top Chinese business schools and internationally recognized business schools abroad.
- The program focuses on establishing a solid theoretical and methodological foundation on which the doctoral students can build for their future research and academic career. Most courses (theories, methods, advanced topics), specifically designed for this program, will be offered by internationally reputed scholars (mostly from the U.S.). Courses are taught in English.
- Each student will be mentored throughout the program by a faculty team consisting of internationally established scholars from the U.S. and from SYSBS. The students are expected to sharpen their skills in research and publications not merely through coursework but by collaborative research with their international mentors or advisors.
- The program will financially support each student for up to five years by covering his or her all tuition and stipend in commensuration with living expenses in Guangzhou, providing they maintain satisfactory progress in the program.
- After completing core courses, each student will be sent overseas, studying under and researching with his or her international advisors for up to one year. This overseas study/visit will be financially sponsored by the program (currently at a rate of RMB 11,050 per month)
- IPHD students for this program are recruited globally (foreign and Chinese students) using international standards (e.g., GMAT). Likewise, once completing the program, their job placements are global too.
- The program also offers each student an opportunity to enhance teaching skills, conduct field studies, and financially support their international travel to attend and present at major international conferences.
To be eligible for admission to this competitive program, an applicant is required to have (at least) a bachelor’s degree from an internationally or regionally reputed university, top at his or her classes, and excel in English. All doctoral students are admitted for a full-time degree program, beginning in the fall.
All applicants are required to complete their GMAT or GRE test by the application deadline, which is December 30, each year. The test must be taken within the past five years. International students must also submit an official report of TOEFL. An exception is made for foreign students who obtained a bachelor’s degree in the U.S. or another English-speaking country.
For detailed information about the program, please contact Ms. Justine Xu at iphd@ mail.sysu.edu.cn. Telephone：86-20-84112624. Please also see SYSBS’s weblink for this program at: http://bus.sysu.edu.cn/en/programs.aspx?typeid=0e5daf86-8a6d-4df2-ad64-913ab9b618ab
Application Deadline for 2014: December 30, 2013