The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, peace and security, growth and development, and power and ideas. The GIGA Doctoral Programme invites applications from
Prospective Doctoral Students
to join the programme on 1 October 2019. The GIGA Doctoral Programme (DP) is a three-year structured programme for junior researchers, in which they can pursue their research and professional development, particularly in the field of comparative area studies (CAS). GIGA doctoral students are fully integrated into the GIGA’s research structure and benefit from close supervision within an international research environment. The training programme fosters their engagement with the GIGA’s global approach to scholarship and provides them with the necessary methodological and soft skills to pursue a career in academia and beyond. Through academic exchanges and field work, doctoral students engage with the ‘GIGA-regions’ and build their own networks. Additional mobility grants are provided for field work and conference attendance and, in line with the Leibniz Association’s principle of ‘theoria cum praxi’, doctoral students are offered exposure to policy advice and knowledge transfer activities. Doctoral degrees will be awarded by one of our partner universities, dependent upon the affiliation of the student’s first Supervisor.
Applicants are expected to fulfil the following criteria:
- An excellent grade point average and a final degree (masters or equivalent) in political science/international relations, economics, history or a related discipline.
- A high-quality project proposal that fits with the GIGA’s research agenda. Priority will be given to projects with a cross-regional or a comparative area studies focus.
- Strong command of the English language (German is not a prerequisite).
We strongly welcome international applications. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute.
Please fill out the GIGA DP application form: https://www.giga-hamburg.de/en/dp/application and send it with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-19-01) including:
- a letter of motivation, a research proposal of 2000 words max. and an additional academic writing sample,
- a CV and simple copies of degrees and academic transcripts (BA, Diploma, MA),
- proof of English language skills, and
- a statement about intended funding for the duration of three years (final admission is dependent upon the applicant’s ability to provide proof of funding by the starting date)
to Kerstin Labusga, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany. Email: email@example.com (Email applications, preferably in a single pdf file, are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 1 February 2019.
For further information, including a list of FAQs, please visit the GIGA DP website www.giga-ham-burg.de/en/dp. You may also contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.