We would like to draw your attention to travel grants offered by the Volkswagen Foundation for PhD students or early Post Docs (max. four years since PhD) researching on the topics addressed by the Herrenhausen Conference on “The New Role of the State for the Emergence and Diffusion of Innovation”, taking place in Hanover (Germany) on February 20-22, 2019.
The content of this international conference includes the following topics:
- Session 1: Does innovation (policy) matter for (economic) growth?
- Session 2: Societal Transitions and Grand Societal Challenges
- Session 3: Multiple Roles of the State in Coping with Innovations
- Session 4: Corporatism and Cooperation
- Session 5: Policy Instruments to Support Innovative Changes
- Session 6: Innovation Policy as Inclusive Strategy
- Debate: “The role of the state is solely defined as curing market or system failures” vs. ” Government shall not infringe upon market forces”
- Interactive Debate: “How must innovation policy be balanced to deal with economic, ecological, societal and developmental issues?”
- Lightning Talks by 10 selected young scholars
- Workshop on Friday (22nd of February) with young scholars to summarize results of the conference in a memorandum
Applicants can win one of 30 travel grants to take part in the Herrenhausen Conference. Successful applicants will get the chance to present their research in poster sessions. The posters will be displayed during the entire conference. The best 10 papers and research ideas will be presented to the audience in lightning talks. Furthermore, the best research paper can win a prize of 1,000 Euro.
The grants include travel expenses to and form Hanover, visa fees (if applicable), as well as accommodation in Hanover. Applicants are to apply until January 13, 2019 by sending all required documents as pdf-files to William Arant (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that we are not able to accept applications after this deadline.
Your application should contain the following:
- A short description of your research focus that explains how your approach tackles the topic addressed above (max. 1,000 characters)
- An abstract of a current research project or paper (max. 2,000 characters). If you want to participate in the Best Paper Competition, please provide a full research paper instead of the abstract.
- A short C.V. (max. 1,000 characters)
- A short list of your most recent publications (max. 5)
Participants will be selected by the steering committee. Acceptance will be based on qualification of the applicant as well as originality and potential of the research project. We willl inform the applicants about the results on January 20th, 2019.
More information on the conference and the travel grants can be found under: https://www.volkswagenstiftung.de/veranstaltungen/veranstaltungskalender/herrenh%C3%A4user-konferenzen/the-new-role-of-the-state-for-diffusion-and-emergence-of-innovation
Dirk Fornahl, Stefan Kuhlmann and Uwe Cantner