Institution: Fakultät für Betriebswirtschaft, Universität Hamburg
Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Michel Clement (Universität Hamburg)
Dates: block course: December 5th 2016 and January 10th 2017
Course Value: 1 SWS or 2 LP
This course will give an introduction in review processes of journals specialized in the management and marketing area and/or media management and media economics. It also aims to teach how to review for journals and how to write response notes within a review process. The course also focuses on research ethics within review processes
This course will focus on review processes. Topics include:
1. The Author’s View: The submission process of various journals (Management Science, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Information Systems Research). Discussion of the submission steps:
a. Submission requirements
b. What to submit
c. Editor selection
d. Reviewer selection
e. Data requirements
2. The Editor’s View: Analysis of the submission systems and reviewer selection.
a. Reviewer selection
b. Decision making process
c. Reviewer evaluation
3. The Reviewer’s View: How the evaluate a paper. Guidelines on writing a review.
4. Ethical issues in the review process.
a. Cases of misconduct
b. Reviewer selection
c. Reviewer exclusion
e. Conflict of Interest
5. Guidelines of how to write a review. Participants receive a paper that they are asked to review until the second part of the course. The reviews are then dis-cussed and the participants then receive the original reviews and the revision notes by the authors to learn how their assessment of the paper matches with the original review.
6. Discussion of the reviews.
7. Guidelines of how to write revision notes.
8. Guidelines of how to write a response letter.
Individual (or two-person team, with permission) review assignments will be required. Own research questions and papers are very welcome to be discussed in the course.
Please also study the following texts / blog:
Albers, Sönke (2014): Preventing Unethical Publication Behavior of Quantitative Empirical Research by Changing Editorial Policies, Journal of Business Economics, 84 (9): 1151-1165.
Holbrook, Morris B. (1986): A Note on Sadomasochism in the Review Process: I Hate When That Happens, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 50, No. 3 (Jul., 1986), 104-108.
Assessment: Assessment will be based on active participation and performance on assignments. Grading for students of University of Hamburg will be pass/fail.
Registration: Please e-mail Michel Clement: firstname.lastname@example.org until 01. November 2016 (Please remember that places will be allocated in order of received registrations)