Institution: see Organisers & Acknowledgements
Program of study: International Research Workshop
Lecturer: Andrea Schäfer (University of Bremen)
05.10.2009, 09:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
06.10.2009, 09:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
08.10.2009, 09:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
09.10.2009, 09:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Max. number of participants: 17
Semester periods per week: n.s.
Credit Points: 3 CP for participating in the whole IRWS 2009
Language of instruction: English
The course is designed to provide a more advanced knowledge of Stata 10. Those who are already experienced in using Stata for data analysis and attended the ‘Introduction to Stata’ course or be familiar with the contents will benefit most from the course. Further, it is assumed that participants will have a working knowledge of basic statistics. However, the course is not focussed on statistical content, but on data management skills. By the end of the course, students should be able to use Stata 10 efficiently through using a broader range of complex commands, understanding and using matrices, scalars and macros and produce formatted outputs.
Teaching practice will consist of tutorials and practical sessions (exercises).
- Short review on basics
- How to reshape and create data sets
- Advanced functions and commands: using egen, _N, _n
- Structure of loopings: while, foreach and forvalues
- Managing and creating matrices
- Understanding and using: scalars, macros and arguments
- Fancy graphs: Create tailor-made publication quality graphs
- Know how to export results: estout, outreg, tabout
- Very first steps: writing programs
You have to register for the 3rd International Research Workshop to participate in this course.